What are Successful Learners?
Learning a language mostly depends on YOU. Some people say that learning a language is something that some people are good at. This is not 100% true. Anyone can learn how to be a better language learner.
Being a successful language learner means that you will be able to tackle tasks in class more easily and you will also be a better independent learner outside of the classroom, achieving far more than other learners.
Some things successful learners do?
Here is a list of things that successful learners do. Successful learners:
1) Learn visually using post-it notes, drawing charts
2) Learn by listening when walking, riding the bus or exercising. This can be done with any MP3 player or smart phone. Downloads are free and easy to find on Google
3) Learn using flashcards and they update the flash cards a lot
4) Review what they have learned by revisiting old material
5) Set goals. For example, they will learn 1 grammar, 1 pronunciation and 1 vocabulary point every day
6) Learn all new words and grammar structures as part of a sentence.
7) They write, listen to, read and speak all new structures shortly after learning them
8) Focus more on speaking than listening
9) Know how to skim and scan, while reading with a purpose
10) Use context clues and grammar structures to help guess meanings of things
11) Have a strong command of grammar and understand why grammar is correct or not
12) Use lots of authentic materials to study from. For examples of authentic materials, please see my other blog ESL learning: Learning Native English
13) Listen to native speakers in real life, on TV, in films and on their computers
14) Ask others to repeat themselves, to speak slower or explain more
15) Do not try to understand every single word
16) Are confident
17) Have a good balance between simple communication and accurate grammar
18) Know how to say things many different ways and can rephrase things
19) Always try to get better and better pronunciation
20) Avoid thinking in their mother tongue and try to think only in the target language
21) Talk to themselves
22) Repeat things they hear
23) Are highly motivated
If you would like to try an English class with a professional ETO teacher, feel free to book a free trial lesson with ETO today!
ETO American English teacher
Other useful ETO links:
Like us on Facebook!
Join our Network on Google plus
Watch our videos on YouTube
Like it? Pin it! Pinterest